02 March 2015

Widgets

BUBUR MANADO | MANADONESE VEGETABLE PORRIDGE

Yum



A few weeks ago when browsing the freezer section in the chinese winkel in Eindhoven, I saw dried salted anchovies! I don't know if I have missed it all these years or they just came in the store but what the fudge?! I'm going to make bubur manado! I was so happy when I found them. After taking the photos and finally enjoying the food, I couldn't help but to have a big smile in my face. I finally made bubur manado! 
This dish hold such a special place in my heart. When I was little I had such a struggle eating this, probably because it only consists of veggies. As I grew older, I could not wait for Sunday lunch, my Mam makes them on Sundays and we'd enjoy it after church. I don't know if it's pretty common in manadonese family to eat bubur manado on Sundays, but from what I remember whenever I visit my extended family on Sundays, we always ended up eating bubur manado. You always serve bubur manado with a side of sambal roa and fried fish. Or, if you have extra leftovers of proteins like babi rica


Manadonese Vegetable Porridge Recipe | Resep Bubur Manado:
Serves 4 - 6
Tools
  • 1 Large pan
Ingredients
  • 2 Liters of water
  • 1 stalk of lemongrass
  • 1 medium shallot, sliced
  • 500 gr sweet potato, diced
  • 1 corn cob
  • 200 gr of rice
  • 100 gr yard long beans or string beans
  • 100 gr kangkung leaves (substitute with spinach if you can't find kangkung) 
Sides
  • Fried anchovies
  • Fried Fish
  • Sambal
Method
  • In a large pan, add in the water, lemongrass, sweet potato and corn. Bring to boil and let simmer for another 15 minute. 
  • Wash the rice and add in to the pan, let cook for 15 minutes on high heat or until your rice becomes soft. 
  • Add in the long beans and kangkung (or spinach) and cook for another 5 minutes. 
  • Stir the porridge to mix the vegetables with the porridge and then it's ready to serve!

3 comments:

  1. Looks so healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! The combination of lemon grass and the fresh green beans are delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...